Thursday, October 7, 2010

Reunions and Gadgets

Well, it's been a busy week!! On Friday I drove to NC so that Saturday we could prepare food for the reunion.  So, both were full days.  The reunion was not until 1PM on Sunday so we slept in and had a leisurely morning, which was appreciated.  It seemed that there were fewer people in attendance this year.  Four relatives had died since last year, including two (brothers, Tommy and Warren) my ageThen there were just a lot not there, so it seemed very low key and somewhat of a let down.  Even so, it was good to see folks I don't see otherwise.  One couple stopped by my mother's for a short visit before heading back to Charlotte.  We then went to visit my mother's friend, Ruth, as we had packed a plate of food from the reunion for her. By the time we got home, we were pooped!

Monday was a 9:30AM doctor's appointment for my mother.  She has lost even more weight, now being down to only 114 pounds. While he didn't prescribe anything to stimulate her appetite, he did take blood to check her thyroid and several other things.  She is to go back on the 18th.  If it is caused by her thyroid (or anything else), her appetite should come back naturally if it is treated.  It all seemed logical to me......but since I've been back, she's twice complained of not being able to eat and feeling weak.  So, I've suggested she move the follow-up appointment  forward and discuss it with the doctor.  She does eat a very good breakfast, but after that every meal is accompanied with "I just don't want anything", "Nothing tastes good to me", etc.  I'll bet she says something similar to that 10+ times a day.......doing her best to talk herself out of eating.  So, the doctor is going to have his work cut out for him unless her thyroid is out of balance. 

Gypsy and Mama
Tuesday was another full day.  We went to Southern Pines to have her eye check.  She sometimes has bleeding behind the eye and takes shots directly in the eye!!  The clinic is huge and it was absolutely teaming with people.  It's set up so that one person takes you and does one thing, you sit and wait a while until someone else comes along and does something else.  This continues until you're ready to be seen by the doctor.  We left at 10AM and got back at 5PM, with only one short stop to pick up a prescription.  What a grueling process!! 

By Wednesday, I was ready to head home, being homesick for my kitties.  I got an earlier start than expected and was home by 2:30.  The kitties got their due attention and then I just unpacked the car and dropped everything where ever it landed.......and headed out to look for a computer.  Staples had so few they looked like they might be going out of business, but Best Buy had a great selection.  After checking them all out, I decided on a Toshiba notebook.  They set it up for me and I picked it up this you know how the rest of the day has been spent!!  Technology has changed so much since my other one was new.  It didn't seen to be slow until recently when it started having problems, but newer ones really are faster, and lighter, quieter and cooler!!  It is now pretty much set up the way I want it and  didn't take nearly as long to do as I expected.  Yippee!!

Before leaving for NC, I ordered a Tom Tom satellite navigation device.......a refurbished one off the internet for about $75 bucks, since I can't see that I'll really use it a lot.  So, I've been getting it set up and using it for errands, just to see if and how it works.  When Misty was here, she showed me hers and the selling point was that you can call for help (Highway Patrol, emergency services, etc.) if you're stranded on the road.  That seemed like a great safety feature for my trips to NC.  Anyway, everything from the trip is still where I dropped it, but I've had a great time playing with my new gadgets!!  


Thanks to all who have sent emails lately......I'm way behind but, now that I'm up and running again, I'll be in touch soon.  Don't give up on me!!