So, if you're thinking of going meatless on Mondays or are just looking for something different, maybe this will help.
If you have a favorite vegetarian recipe that you don't mind sharing, please let me know. I'd love to try it and include it.
- Jim ‘N Nick’s Cheese Biscuits An attempt at the restaurant recipe. I use 1c flour and 1/2c cornmeal rather than 1-1/2c flour. It also seems too sweet so I keep cutting back on the sugar.
- Southern Cornbread Real cornbread in this neck of the woods is NOT sweet. This is the way I've always had it and liked it. Use buttermilk whenever possible and add 1/4 tsp of baking soda.
- Acorn Squash Stuffed with Chard & White Beans Very good just as it is.
- Baked Portobello Caps with Melted Goat Cheese From the South Beach Diet; quick and easy.
- Black Bean Croquettes with Fresh Salsa This turned out much better than I expected. I made them into patties rather than croquettes.
- Black Bean & Zucchini Chilaquiles This recipes was in my collection long before I went vegetarian and I still enjoy it.
- Broccoli & Swiss Cheese Quiche with Whole Wheat Crust This is a staple and I love the easy crust. I use spinach or broccoli, whichever is on hand.
- Cheese & Spinach Stuffed Portobellos
- EggplantParmesan II
- Tomato Phyllo Pie
- Quinoa Stuffed Peppers Another good quinoa recipe. I usually do two peppers (4 servings), with enough mix left over to freeze for another time.
- Sweet Pepper Tart Yum......pastry not as crunchy the next day, so enjoy it while still warm.
- Pindi Chana A chickpea dish with a nice flavor and a kick. Of course, it can be adjusted to taste. Great over rice.
- Eggplant Pomodoro Pasta A nice, easy pasta sauce; can be spiced up with red pepper. I add a can of diced tomatoes to get the consistence I like.
- Pasta Shells with Portobello Mushrooms & Asparagus in Boursin Sauce
- Black Bean Nacho Pizza Quick and easy. Black bean spread is also good in wraps.
- Greek Pizza This recipe calls for chicken, for which I substitute sliced baby portobello mushrooms. The red wine vinaigrette is very nice.
- Portobello Mushroom, Fresh Peppers & Goat Cheese Pizza
Roasted Vegetable Dishes
- Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas One on my favorites, but I make it as easy as possible, layering the tortillas and vegetables rather than rolling them. The sauce is very tasty, but you can also just a canned version.
- Roasted Vegetable Lasagna I've tried several vegatarian lasagna recipes and settled on this one, which I really like.
- Bean & Tomato Salad with Honey Vinaigrette This dressing is so light and works well with lots of salad makings.
- Greek Tortellini Salad Another one of my favorites.
- Italian-MarinatedVegetable Salad A standby
- Spinach, Apple, and Walnut Salad An oldie goldie.
- Quinoa Black Bean Salad If you haven't tried quinoa (a seed from Peru), please do. I love it and this is one of my favorite uses of it.
Sandwishes, Wraps, Burgers, Etc.
- Bella Asada Fajitas
- Hummus Pitas with Feta-Olive Salsa A great combination of flavors. This is a longtime favorite.
- Roasted Pepper Roll-ups This is actually an appetized, but I make it as a wrap and add things to it, like marinated asparagus or roasted vegetables, etc.
- Chickpea Burgers and Tahini Sauce Another one of my favorites....with all the trimmings.
Soups, Stews, Curries, etc.
- Eastern European Red Lentil Soup Very tasty, especially with yoghurt.
- Cauliflower& Red Lentil Curry Add chickpeas to give it a little more substance.
- Crockpot Pinto Beans This is not the recipe I grew up with! It's much more flavorful, with onions, peppers, cumin, etc. Great with cornbread recipe above.
- Mexican Lentil Soup Put it on and forget it. Spicy it up the way you like it......and garnish with sour cream.
- Moroccan Sweet Potato Stew I add paprika, red pepper and tumeric.