Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Warning: This is a Bummer.

Well, we've had several weeks of peace and calm.  In fact, we went into Savannah Sunday for some shopping, which is one of my mother's favorite things.  The atmosphere has been relaxed and easy until Monday, when my mother actually said she wished I'd sell "this place" and take her house, which is code for moving back with her.  So, those of you who thought I was taking the comedic turn of phrase when I said that my mother would be happy to have me living in her basement, will now know that it's no joking matter.  At the time she said it, I told her at #1 I couldn't sell the house with the market as it is and #2 if I moved it would be to someplace where there were things of interest to do.  That was just a mild exchange before I went to get dressed.  As I was doing so, I realized that my reply was much too subtle and might have even left the impression, to one looking for any glimmer of hope, that I might sell and move (in with her) when the market improves. I determined that if the subject came up again, I would be direct in stating that I did not plan to move back to NC.  No sooner than I came back into the kitchen that she said she hoped I'd give some thought to what she had said.  I then went in and sat with her and said, "Look, don't plan on that happening."  NC is her home, this is my home.  Well, you can imagine how that went over.  After heated words, she didn't speak to me for the remainder of the day.  Now the kicker to this is that we/I had planned to go to NC at the end of the week to arrange for Meals-on-Wheels (for which she has qualified) and to see if we can get some home assistance.  We will then pay for someone to drive her where she needs to go.  Now we all know that she will do what she wants to do when she gets home, so I am going to have to be prepared for that (which I'm building up to!).  Well, that wasn't good enough.....she wants to go home NOW and STAY.  So today at breakfast I told her that 'she was my mother and I loved her.  I will do everything I can to keep her healthy and safe, but my days of trying to please her are over.  That will never happen and I accept that.'  She would not be staying in NC until we could get things organized.  More silence until about 2PM when I went into her room and said, "If you want to go to NC tomorrow and come back on Friday, there are things we need to get done.  If you don't want to go, it doesn't matter."  About 15 minutes later she came out of her room and we proceed to prepare for the trip.

I then showered and went to Drinking Liberally, where I did!!

In case you think that isn't enough, there is the additional stress of my driver's license.  I was so fortunate as to be able to renew my license by mail.  On January 3rd I had my eyes examined and sent in the form for renewal. To be sure it got an early start, I mailed it from the Post Office......the inside slot, not the box  I put a note on my calendar to call about them if not received by today.  Well, I read the note today at 4:35PM.......before leaving tomorrow for NC and returning to SC on the 21st, by which time my license will have expired!  At 4:45 I called the DMV and talked to a very nice lady who said that there was NO RECORD of having received my renewal application!!  She said that I could go to the local DMV tomorrow at 9:30 (the only day of the week that they don't open at 8:30!!) and they would print out my license  It sounds hopeful........but, since there is an eye test involved, I don't think it's going to be that easy.  So, we'll see what tomorrow brings.

So tomorrow, if your day is less complicated than mine, please enjoy it!!



No comments:

Post a Comment