Tuesday, January 10, 2012

January is Moving Right Along....

Well, the holidays are well behind us and I'm not sure where the days have gone or how we've filled them.  The hostility seems to have subsided and I'm trying to keep a low profile.  The weather continues to be incredibly mild and so nice that on Sunday we went to Beaufort, just to get out and about a bit.  We spent a good deal of time on the waterfront where there is a great area to sit, walk, gather, dine, etc.  As we were sitting there, a dolphin just popped his head through the water, got everyone's attention and proceeded to frolic.  It made the day!



Some time was spent reclaiming my old sunroom chairs from the garage and making them useable again, but it was only after purchasing these chairs (left).  You can see that they have now been relegated to the cluttered garage. First, they did not get the kitty seal of approval.  Every time they jumped into or out of the chair it skidded across the floor and the cushions (slightly too big for the seat) spent more time on the floor than in the chair.  Secondly, once in the room, they didn't seem substantial enough compared to the previous chairs. So, once the holidays were over and the Christmas tree out of the room, I contemplated my options - which I should have done initally before buying more chairs!!  I arrived at a solution which pleases both me and the kitties - I covered the backs of the old chairs with scratch pads, which cover the only place where the kitties had destroyed the old chairs.  It looks good enough for me and the cats love it......and they love having the big seat to sleep in and the back cushion to roost on. It's a win-win for us all, though I realize you have to be a cat lover to fully appreciate it!



This is how it came from the thrift shop.
While I was playing Ms. Fixit, I ordered hardware for a chest of drawers that I had purchased at my local thrift show.  It's a Broyhill piece that was in good condition outside and clean as a whistle inside.  But for some reason, the hardware was wrecked.  One bail pull was completely missing and all but two have no pulls remaining.  The knobs on one drawer were also missing.  It just seemed odd that it should be in such good shape overall considering the poor condition of the hardware.  Anyway, once the hardware arrived it took only a minute to clean up the exterior and change out the hardware.......and now it look as good as new.




This is the finished piece, used beside the bed in my mother's room.  The night tables I had in there were very small, especially for all the things she needs nearby.  So, this gives her more storage and more counter space.  Again, we're happy with the results, and it's good to have something to be happy about!!

Not a lot else to report, though I seem to always be busy with something....cooking, walking or sorting out medical issues for my mother. Tomorrow she sees the doctor for a follow up since her stay in the hospital.  If she gets a good report, she'll probably be wanting to go back home as soon as possible.

It's hard to believe that we're already this far into January.  The month will be gone before we know it.


No comments:

Post a Comment