Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Christmas Update

It's been a while since I've written, though I haven't forgotten you!  There continues to be so many ups and downs here that 1) I find it difficult to plan very far ahead or 2) to find the emotional energy to write when I do find the time.  My mother seems to have one physical problem after another, compounded by her feeling of hopelessness.  I've tried to provide distractions, including a radio/CD player and several books on tape.  As far as I know, she hasn't even turned on the radio once and the books on tape were returned to the library unopened.  She also has a TV in her room, which she never turns on, preferring to lie in a totally silent room.  She has been up the last several days and night-before-last we rode around the neighborhood and Bluffton to see the Christmas lights.  Yesterday, we went shopping and she seemed to have a good day until evening when she went to bed at 6PM.  I keep hoping that she will come to grips with the past and the future so that she can enjoy some of the present.  That isn't to say that it will be easy, at her age and with her physical problems, but from my perspective much of it is emotional and mental outlook (she won't even call her friends in NC), as well as the physical.  Anyway, that's where we are, which is why there hasn't been a whole lot to write about.

 Midweek we finished the decorating of the house and I'm now contemplating holiday baking.  While my enthusiasm is low, it is something we can do together and something we usually enjoy.....so at some point we'll undertake it. There is also a Christmas musical review on Saturday at 3PM which we plan/hope to attend.  In the past we've taken in some evening shows but my mother rarely stays up past 7PM anymore.  So, I'm looking for things that take place earlier.

One of the pleasures of the season has been the online Advent calendar that Eileen sent me.  It's done by Jacquie Lawson and those of you who know her online greeting cards are familiar with the quality of her work.  It's absolutely fantastic.  The holiday scene is of London and each day there is an ornament to click for a full scene to develop.  Once that is done, there is an information center which gives more information about that particular area of the city.  It's beautiful and informative......and at night, the London scene turns dark and the holiday lights come on.  When the calendar is minimized, the icon of the desktop is a snowglobe----believe me, it has been thoroughly and creatively developed.  Thank you Eileen......as you can tell, we're really enjoying it.

As for me, I try to make a conscious effort to continue some of the things I enjoy.  Our weather has been fantastic (76 today) and my walks are a lifesaver.  PAL is also very calming and rewarding for me and I look forward to it.  I also have plans to have lunch with a friend on Thursday and a concert in Savannah on Sunday.........but I have to confess that sometimes it's easier NOT to do something than to muster the energy to be social!!  Bah-humbug!!

I hope the Christmas spirit is more lively where you are and that you're enjoying the joys of the season.  Please add a comment or drop me an email and let me know how you're spending your holiday.
Merry Christmas to All!

No comments:

Post a Comment