Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Another Quick Update

Just a note to update you on my mother.  Saturday night she slept like a rock. She went to bed around 7:30 and, when I checked on her at 10:30 before going to bed myself, she was in the exact same position as earlier and was making snoring sounds. The next morning she looked and felt much, much better.  There was very little confusion and she was even aware of some of the things she saw and did. We had a leisurely morning and then went to PetSmart for a truckload of kitty grub.  She also wanted to walk around outside a bit to keep her legs going, so we took a little walk.  I didn't want her to overdo it but at the same time I thought the activity would do her good.  So, by Sunday evening, I was more encouraged.

Unfortunately, the "other mother" showed up yesterday.  It was like walking into her room in the hospital on Saturday and taking one look at her and knowing something was wrong.  She was not out of touch with reality as she was in the hospital, she was just totally, totally depressed, fatalistic, miserable.  She had a followup appointment with the surgeon, who gave her a good report and dismissed her.  Her response to that was "I hope he's right."  When she's like this, there is absolutely no good or hope in her world. She just sits and lets her mind take her to the darkest extremes she can imagine.  It makes me very sad for her and it sucks any joy right out of the room. 

It's 8:45AM on Tuesday and so far she seems good.  She looks rested and sounds herself. We're still taking it one day at a time. Here's hoping!!  Thanks to those who have been in touch and those who have kept us in your thoughts.  It means more than you know.


Merry Christmas!
Is it over yet?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Donna,

    I have been thinking of you. Tried to call this AM, but no answer/ I was hoping you were having your walk. Will try again this PM.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna,
    Thanks for the update. I must admit I had to laugh at 'the other mother' - what an apt description. This would have been so fitting for my mother in her day!!!
    Difficult though it is when the black mood descends you must try not to let it 'get to you' and bring your mood down too. Mama Myrtle will be adamant in her black thoughts, don't let her take you there!!!
    Take care,
    Love and Thoughts are with you,
    Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete