Saturday, October 8, 2011

To All the Strong Ladies I Know, a Word From Betty White....

Am not sure where the time has gone, but I'm pooped.....and have had to dig deep, as suggested by Betty's advice!

I went back to NC for a family reunion, which turned out to be lots of fun.  Usually everyone is chomping at the bit to get to the food, and then leave as soon as they're full.  This time, everyone brought old family photos, which were very entertaining and sparked a lot of conversation, memories, and laughter.  My mother and I also enjoyed looking at our old photos the day before.  It really is addictive and lots of fun.  Anyway, everyone kind of lingered and it was a nice change.

My mother agreed to come back with me, which is earlier than she usually comes for the winter.  She was having a hard time coping with things on her own and I think she welcomed the invitation.  It's certainly added to the drama here.  The first night she was again bitten by her cat.....not a "nip", not  "he just broke the skin"......no, this time it was a full dental imprint with five puncture wounds.  She was up in the night trying to get him to do something he didn't want to do (conform to her idea of how he should be rather than how he is), and he bit her.  It was only when I heard her close the hall closet door for the second time that I got up to see what was happening.  She had dripped blood down the hall and was trying to find a band-aid!!  We got her arm bathed, medicated and covered, but I was fully expecting to have to take her to the doctor the next  morning.  For some unknown reason, it was only badly bruised, with a hard cap to it, but the infection was not running up her arm. So, we've been doctoring it at home.  I can identify with the cat;  but, in spite of my shortcomings, it appears that I handle the pressure better than he!!  

Then, this morning she woke up coughing and choking on phlegm (which is an ongoing problem for her). Naturally, it happened on a weekend when no one is available short of the emergency room. So, I got online and looked for remedies.  Honey and ginger seemed to do the trick.  I'll call her doctor on Monday so hopefully everything will be okay until then.  Never a dull moment!

Yesterday I told her that Eileen and Tom were coming for a visit next Saturday.  Had she known beforehand, she would not have come down, and her first words were, "Well, I'll go home."  My response was that I couldn't make that trip to NC  for the 4th time in 7-8 weeks.  Being with people might just do her good....I think part of her problem is spending too much time alone.  She's met Tom & Eileen before and remembers them, so I think once she realizes it's just friends visiting friends she'll be okay and on her best behavior. Eileen and Tom are also aware of the situation so there will be no surprises for them (I hope!). Having my mother here will allow me to know what is actually happening with her rather than trying to figure it out by phone......That's my thinking, anyway........


This may be the biggest surprise for Eileen and Tom!!

No comments:

Post a Comment