Thursday, May 5, 2011

Easter Weekend and After

Am not sure where the time has gone.  It seems I've been far busier than I really like, though everything has been enjoyable, beginning with Easter morning.  As luck would have it, I was awakened around 5:30AM by the melodious sound of Gabby repeatedly trying to relieve himself of a hairball.  Just as I was settling in after that, my phone rang twice, just long enough for me to get to it and find no one at the other end.  By that time, I decided that I was fully awake and may as well get up.  Since it was still dark, I made a pot of coffee and joined my kitties in the sunroom to watch the sun come up, making it a really nice Easter morning.  The motley crew is shown below.


Like most people, I overdosed on the Royal Wedding.  The UK gets the prize for pageantry. No one else does it better.  The young couple seem quite impressive, with a genuine affection for one another.  The bride was beautiful and totally poised throughout, and the groom seemed relaxed and at ease.  They were a pleasure to watch and  I think everyone wishes them the happiness that William's mother found so illusive.  My favorite moment was when they came driving out with the balloons attached to the car......a very nice touch!

Since then I've been to the Marine Corp Air Station in Beaufort to see the Blue Angels.  My neighbor's husband was a Navy pilot and she gets entry to these things.  We actually went on the Friday, which was a practice day and, therefore, smaller crowds. There were sky diving teams, biplanes, cargo planes, etc.  This isn't exactly my thing, but it was quite impressive.  As you might guess, there are photos but I haven't had time to deal with them.  So, they will be coming!

The following day we went to our electric company's all-day general meeting event - food, music, etc.  My primary reason for going was to collect a weather radio, which was the gift to those attending.  With the weather being as unpredictable as it is, it really seemed like something I would actually use, unlike the previous two gifts that are sitting in the garage in unopened boxes!  We didn't stay at the meeting very long but did some exploring on the way home.  We found a cute little winery that we'd heard about, and then drove through Ridgeland just to see what was there.

Other than that, it's been the usual.......lunch or dinner with friends, Living Liberally, continuing my walks, etc.  Tonight I'm going to a jazz concern at Palmetto Bluff, which should be fun as the weather is perfect.  Tomorrow I'll go to NC for Mother's Day weekend.  Once home, I hope the pace slows a little.  While everything has been enjoyable, it does feel that I've just been running from one thing to the next, which does get to me after a while.  Maybe if I just have time to clean my house I'll feel better about whatever comes up next.

There is a little neighborhood news.  My neighbor who lives directly across the street and one house over is one of the 15 finalist on the Food Network's Star competition.  She is Orchid Paulmeier and you can see her and vote for her HERE.  She opened a restaurant called One Hot Mama's here in Bluffton, then sold it and opened another on the island.  I believe it then became part of a "group" that operates some of the better restaurants in the area.  So, she's obviously got what it takes and this would be a big break for her.

Well, Bin Laden has met his maker and I guess we can all take a sigh of relief......and see what happens next.  To be honest, the news bulletin came on just as I was about to go to sleep, but I had to see what had happened.  Never once did it dawn on me that they could have gotten Bin Laden.....he has been that elusive and off the radar for so long.   I'm thankful that President Obama handled it perfectly (in my humble opinion) and I'm hoping this is the beginning of things turning around for him.  Lord knows he hasn't had a break and has a critic on every corner.  It has temporarily silenced those who complain about his "weak", contemplative style.......and I hope that will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment