Sunday, June 13, 2021

Rosie and Other Things

I’m writing this the day after my last post (5/31) only because our weather continues to be fantastic! We had about 4-5 days in the 90s, but again the temperatures have dropped a bit at night and this morning when I walked Rosie it was about 70 with a gentle breeze. It is only getting into the 80s most of this week, which is just about perfect.  And thus far, the humidity hasn’t kicked in! It feels like we have had a nice, long spring. Sometimes we have about 2 weeks of spring and then one morning we wake up and it’s 95 degrees and 95 % humidity. It’s nice to avoid that as long as possible.

Rosie & her bed for burrowers. There is no
longer a lot of cover on the bed for her to
scoot under.
I don’t remember whether I told you, but there is a little wooden bridge before my house and Rosie and I have walked over it for years as part of our daily walk. About a month or so ago, Rosie just stopped going over. It was like she wanted to – she would look at it and size it up, and even begin the walk over, but a little way in she would stop and slowly turn around. This morning I carried her across in hopes she would walk over coming back.  She was very happy to have all of the fresh scents on the other side as well as the people we ran into around the pool area. As we walked back, she approached it very slowly and was down low and tentative, but she made it across. Her buddy Buster and Dave were behind us and encouraged her along. Even though she did it once, she still remains reticent.

You can see that my little Rosie's
muzzle is turning white!
Well, Rosie and I had a traumatic incident during our afternoon walk (6/1). Tuesday is my day
to take my garbage to the dump/recycle center and the weather was so mild that I decided to do it in the afternoon and take Rosie to the park afterward.  On this day, I changed it up a bit and stopped at the public, sports field that is closer. It’s in an open area and at that time it was vacant (except for two cars, probably with people checking their phones!), so I decided to take our walk there. I knew it would be a whole new sniffing experience for Rosie. We had just started our walk when we were charged by a dog four times Rosie’s size! He didn’t bark or growl and was on us before either of us knew It. I screamed twice and yanked Rosie away. By the second time I screamed, I looked around and he was already across the street running for home. I really don’t think he was hostile because he could have had Rosie by the neck before I knew he was there, and he fled with my screaming. Even so, it scared the hell out of both of us!! Needless to say, we packed up and finished our walk at the park! While it was a public area. I will certainly stick with the park we know!

While I’m not taking a trip this year, I do have some fun things to anticipate. Pamela has booked her visit from August 26 thru September 8. She will be dividing her time between me and another friend on the island. Melodee’s trip is still on though no dates decided yet. She was thinking of coming in the fall which would mean nicer weather. Just last week, Sandi (from Atlanta and a friend from our last Africa trip) expressed an interest in visiting sometime this year, which delights both Tippy and me! And, of course, Eileen had planned a visit in April of last year which had to be canceled due to Covid. Once things have opened up a bit, I hope she will reschedule. It will be wonderful to see friends and catch up, so book your dates at Casa Rosie early!!

Well, I recently went on a spending spree. Those who know me are aware that I’m not into shopping, updating for the sake of having something new, etc. You do know that I got a new computer, which I really like (unlike the Dell I had). So, it only seemed natural to also update my phone as my old one was not even holding a charge through the day. I traded mine in (online) for a Samsung S7. Like the computer, setting it up kept me out of trouble for a few days, and I am happy with it. Both of those should last me for years. The spree seemed over until one morning when I decided to have a fruit smoothie for breakfast. I went for my blender and it wasn’t there. Then I remembered that I had loaned it to Reyna when hers died in the middle of cooking. The thought crossed my mind to call her but suddenly I decided to check out newer ones online. Well, I wound up with a new blended and food processor! I’m not feeling guilty because both of my old ones came with me from Saudi in 1997! Both were 25-30 years old so I’d certainly made good use of them. Reyna just stopped by and I had the food processor on the table along with a carton belonging to her. I asked her if she wanted it if she didn’t already have one – that I had gotten a new one.....AND, that I was blaming it all of her because of the blender!

Not a lot else to report, but I am thinking of friends:

  • Sandi, who is having knee surgery this week. I hope all goes well and painlessly. Keep me posted.
  • Still thinking of Rhonda and Brian. I know how much they miss Olivia and hope they are doing well.
  • Here's hoping everyone is healthy, happy, and beginning to come out of the pandemic.

No comments:

Post a Comment