Sunday, November 22, 2020

The Craziness Continues

Somehow, we all knew trump wouldn’t go quietly, honorably! After the dancing in the streets ended, the shenanigans began with the republican senators upholding him! I find it hard to believe those grown men can be that afraid of him, enough so to sacrifice their self-respect! Most decent conservatives have already left the trump cult and I guess we shouldn’t expect anything more for those who remain. In any case, I am feeling lighter each day. I almost feel that I can breathe better/easier, that a weight has been lifted from my chest. I’m getting more done around the house and am getting hooked on Silent Witness on Prime.



Earlier I mentioned my watch/step counter/sleep register gadget. Well, this is what the sleep register looks like. You get to see when and how long you are in deep sleep, which I find very interesting. I thought it was a progressive process and you would go into a deep sleep, it would last a while, and then you would come out of it - not that it was in fits and starts!! It isn’t the deep sleep so much as the light sleep that has tormented me for the last years. When I would go into a light sleep, my mind would race - and I was aware of it; however, since the election, my light sleep has been calm, quiet, almost meditative! I’m aware that I’m not in deep sleep, but my mind is quiet, no thoughts, no worries. No doubt you will think I’m bonkers, but it is what it is and this is how it has affected me. I’m thankful to be able to be rejuvenated by my sleep.

We are having great weather at the moment. Last week we had one really rainy day but otherwise, we have had light showers at night or early morning. So, Rosie and I have really enjoyed those fresh mornings. By afternoon we are in the 70s with some days almost reach 80. One walk this week lasted 2 hours – Lynn and Tom invited us in for coffee and we ran into loads of other people, dogs, and fellow liberals. We got home so late that I skipped breakfast because it was too close to lunchtime!  We never know what to expect. Two days ago on our afternoon walk, we ran into one neighbor whose husband likes to pet Rosie. She called ahead to let him know Rosie was on the way. Then, the mailman stopped and gave her a treat. Then, on the way home, a new neighbor saw us, came out of the house, and called to us. Both she and her husband came out and played with her in the grass!! Two other neighbors with dogs stopped by to visit. We really do live in a great neighborhood for doggies. 


You all know how I don’t give a hoot about shopping but my favorite handbag is shot. I got it for $6 at the thrift shop (half-price sale!) and it has been one of the best ever – small, lots of pockets, a handy credit card section. I really love it. It’s by Multi Sac, so I searched Amazon and they have a whole range of handbags (all coming in a variety of colors). There was one very similar to mine (but a bit larger), which I ordered. If anything, it has too many pockets. The thing that really impressed me was that it is vegan leather, which I didn’t know! That made me love it even more! A cow didn’t have to die for me to have my favorite handbag! I still like the old one better than the new one but I think I’ll just have to get used to it.

Friday the 13th was our Liberal Ladies Zoom event with Chris Matthews. He is a much better speaker than TV host (always interrupting guests!) because he has a wealth of political knowledge and experience and really connected thoughts and issues well. Someone asked if anyone was going to challenge Nancy Pelosi for Speaker. He didn’t think so AND then said that she was the best politician he’s ever met. She is very strict with her caucus but manages to do it without being hated! That takes real talent and skill. Well, my first thought was that it is because she is a woman (and mother of 5!)…..but  I liked his observation. He got rave reviews from all in attendance. Our next speaker will be Larry Kramer, a former reporter, and editor at The Washington Post and President and Publisher of USA Today.

Last weekend marked the end of my 2 years of working on the Liberal Ladies newsletter. The last one for the year has been published. I’ve really enjoyed it as diddling on the computer is my thing and I always learn something new. I will also miss the great group of ladies on the Steering Committee, especially when we were able to socialize in person. Since we can’t do that at the moment, our last meeting of the year will be at 5 PM, glass in hand; so, I doubt much will be accomplished – but I do expect lots of laughs! Anyway, if you're interested, you can see my last edition HERE. Now that we aren't meeting regularly and the election is over, this issue is shorter and less involved than most, but it gives you an idea of our group.

Because I knew you missed Rosie!
This month also marks the 10th Anniversary of Liberal Ladies and a special newsletter was done by my co-partner (Mary Ann) and the lady who will take my place (Ann). They did a beautiful job. You can find it HERE and might enjoy the read.

Well, In addition to politics being nuts here so is Covid-19!  After going to Kroger one afternoon and seeing three people without masks, I’m back to ordering my groceries for pickup. I confess to becoming slack and almost back to going to Kroger (right out my back door!) every other day, but that experience pulled me up short. Then, yesterday I made a late trip to Sam’s thinking it would be quiet, and it was a zoo! I mentioned that to one of the assistants and he said I had actually come at a good time – that it had been worse through most of the day! That tells me that it is likely to be this way throughout the holidays, so I’m staying home and ordering everything! It has also touched closer to home. My neighbor across the street who owns and operates a restaurant got it. I was told that the staff at her restaurant were not wearing masks, etc. I also heard from Rhonda T in Albuquerque that her work had to close down for a week when someone got it. They closed to sanitize the place before bringing in a skeleton staff to keep things going. That would definitely put a new slant on going to work each day.

I wish everyone here a Happy Thanksgiving and hope you’ve found a way to celebrate safely. Our little Pandemic Pals group will be celebrating on Thursday/Thanksgiving Day rather than our usual Friday get-together. We’re also making it easy by picking up and bringing our own food. Lynn and Tom will have the traditional turkey dinner and Chris and I will have a lentil, mushroom, and chickpea loaf, green beans, and mashed potatoes. This sounds very easy and may become a tradition!!

Happy Thanksgiving

One and All!


via GIPHY

No comments:

Post a Comment