Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Dog Days of Summer (lethargy, inactivity, and indolence)

It's been almost a month since I last posted and I don't know where the time has gone. It seems to be passing quickly even though I'm not busy with anything. Some groups have started meeting via Zoom and while that adds activities to the calendar, they take less time than usual with not having to get dressed, driving to and from, etc. For that reason, I really like them though I do miss seeing the groups in person.


Yes, our pandemic group continues, and Tippy and I get together regularly. The last time the weather cooperated and we had a nice lunch at Ruan Thai (Thai-ed one on, as we say!) The dining room is closed but they have set up tables outside under a tree and on this day it was overcast, cooler, and breezy. While there were people picking up carry-outs, there was only one other couple dining outside and they were at the opposite end from us. 

Rhonda C. also came out for dinner recently and Rosie went berzerk! It had been a long time since Rhonda had been over and she stayed with Rosie for one of our Africa trips. I swear that Rosie recognized her car! She always carries on at the door, but this time it was louder and prolonged. Then when Rhonda got inside, Rosie had a running fit. It was a fun evening and while we ate dinner, I put Rosie's bed beside Rhonda's chair and she was perfectly happy.

Here is Rosie contemplating her ball! When she gets on the rug like this and wags her tail, she wants to play. Before I can get to her, she will flip up and run to her toy basket (in background) to select the toy of the day. Sadly, she had a shivery episode on Monday after our morning walk. I'm not aware that we did anything out of the ordinary, but as I was sitting on the couch, she lay down between my feet, which is unlike her. That's when I realized she was shivering. I then just comforted her until it was over and she was very low key for the rest of the day. That is always so unsettling for me and I'm sure it's even worse for her.

This past week I've been working on the Liberal Ladies newsletter. Though I enjoy doing it and it's great to work with the ladies on the steering committee, it is one of several obligations I'll be cutting back. I've done the newsletter for 2 years so it's time for someone else to take over. The pandemic has shown me that for someone who is a homebody, I was really overextended. I'm hoping the election will provide relief for all of us and we can move forward with less anxiety overall. 



Of course, we political wonks continue to do our best between now and November. I did these 50 GOTV (Get Out the Vote) cards. Luckily, I figured out how to print labels from the list of names I was given, so that saved some time, which I used to write a more informed message (listing Biden/Harris, Jaime Harrison, Joe Cunningham, and all local Dems. - leaving nothing to guesswork!) It took a while but I was happy to help. Lynn and I continue to organize our Crescent Democrats and we've identified 48 already. We try to keep them informed of events and volunteer 
opportunities....and several have volunteered to do postcards. It will be great when we can actually get together socially and get to know one another.

I would be interested in what you folks abroad are hearing about everything going on here and what you think about it. You have to know that these last days leading to the election are tense ones for us. My personal feeling is that a lot of damage can be done between now and the election (whenever it is decided!). Even if trump loses, he can do more damage between November and January. And if the wins, there won't be enough left after four more years to recognize. It feels like a now or never situation and I hope people will vote with the wellbeing of our country in mind. What a mess!

I'm sorry this is dull and boring but that's life during quarantine! I know that kids in the UK are back at school this week, while we can't seem to do what is required for that! While you are getting back to some semblance of normalcy, those of us here with concerns about our health are hunkered down and the rest think it's a hoax. We could be here for a while.

I will leave you with something funny. Tom of our pandemic group has taken to Tic Toc and keeps finding these funny talking dog videos and sending them to me. Below is the one that had me laughing out loud.




I hope this finds everyone safe and well! 
Love to all.




2 comments:

  1. I can see you and Rosie at the window telling each other "I love you."
    Patches would just yawn and say "Oh good, you're leaving."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhonda, that is so not true! Patches just likes to tell you in the middle of the night or when you're upstairs. She's very selective!

    ReplyDelete