Thursday, April 9, 2020

Passing Time in Quarantine!

This is what happens when I don't have an
appropriate photo!!
We have all had time to settle into our "social distancing" situation, and I have probably settled in better than most. That is possibly an advantage of having no siblings and being accustomed to amusing myself. Being at home has never been boring for me, though I'm sorry it has been imposed in this way. One of the first few days, I ventured to the DMV to get my Real ID license, which had been on my To-Do list for a long time. If there were a lot of people there, I would just skip it, but there were only about three people in front of me. They had everyone wait outside, keeping appropriate distancing, and someone came to ask why you were there. As it turned out, I didn't have everything I needed, so the lady gave me the form to fill out. The DMV is directly across Hwy 278 from me, so I went home, filled out the form, picked up my Social Security card, and headed back. This time there were two people in front of me but I had everything in order and she sent me right on in. I was happy to get it done AND they extended my license, which was due to expire in 2023, to 2028! 


I've had one take out from Olive and Fig and coffee with Lynn and Tom twice. It's great to have neighbors to get together with, and Rosie and Bogey like getting together, too! Other than that, it's been only grocery shopping, complete with mask and gloves. 

The Instacart grocery shopping experience was interesting. At the time I did it, you had to plan three days out. Now it is five days out, so it is obviously catching on. My initial delivery order had a $7.99 delivery fee, but once I added a few things that brought the charge to a certain amount, the fee dropped to $3.99, which I thought was very reasonable. I could add things virtually until she started shopping. If items were running low, the app would inquire about substitutions at that time. If an item was not in stock while the shopping was being done, the shopper would inquire online about preferred substitutions. I enjoyed seeing how it worked and it can certainly be a worthwhile service.


I'm happy to report that Rosie seems to be feeling better over the last 7 to 10 days. It is so difficult to tell how she is or to determine whether or not I'm overacting. In any case, you can see that her tail and ears are up and she's playing with a squeaky toy. None of that was happening when she was in pain. You may also notice that I have a chair (2) backed up to the bed to keep her from jumping. Not liking that setup, I found a pet bedrail online. It is a neat contraption and works well - and it looks a bit better than the chairs. She has learned how to get on and OFF the bed using the ramp, which may partially account for her feeling better. Keep your fingers crossed that this continues.


My other project is to purge my closet (which I began 10 days ago and continue on an irregular schedule!) and clean the garage, but every day I have it on my To-Do list, I find something else to do! I really do want to get it done while I have time. Keep your fingers crossed for this one, too!

The Squad (Tippy, Chris, Lynn, Melodee, Sally, and I) have gotten together once on Zoom and it was lots of fun to see and chat with everyone. On the free version, you are limited to 40 minutes and we used that easily. Last night, Drinking Liberally Zoomed for happy hour on our usual day and time. About twelve or so "old-timers" showed up for an animated chat. It was good to see everyone, but I missed Juan's Mexican food!


I don't want to put a kenahora on it, but we continue to have fantastic weather. I can't remember the last time I heard the AC or heating running and it's wonderful to get up in the morning to a perfect temperature. With everyone locked down, more neighbors are out walking, riding bikes, etc.....and much less auto traffic. The neighborhood is quieter and slower. I've been touched by several neighbors who stopped me to ask how I am doing. They hadn't seen me in a while and were concerned. That's comforting in times like this.

The pandemic and the three trump years leading up to it have shown me how much my life has changed. When this is over, we will never go back to "normal", whatever that was, and I've been thinking about what I want my remaining years to be. I'd like to live at a pace that is more comfortable for me (slower). I'd like to be able to appreciate more of the people and things around me and on this wonderful planet. And most of all, I'd like to exist in a kinder, more compassionate world.

PLAY ALONG

  • What have you discovered in this time of quarantine? 
  • What revelations have you had about reaching the other side of this pandemic?
  • What changes do you hope to make when this is over?


Let me know your thoughts in comments below.
I am hoping these instructions work. They work for what I see at this end, but I'm not sure it is the same that you see at your end.

  • Click on No Comments (or it may say something like 1 Comment)
  • Enter your comment
  • Where it says Comment As, select Name
    • Enter your name
    • Disregard URL unless you have a website/blog
  • You may also comment as Anonymous
    • If so, please sign your comment so I know who posted it.
  • When done, hit Publish (or Preview to see it before publishing)
Comments are moderated, which means they come to my email before appearing on the blog. So it may not appear immediately, but I will get it. Once I've received the email, it will appear on the blog.




Love to all!
Stay Safe and Well.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Donna,
    Even without sound I knew Rosie was after a toy. She is adorable and I think the ramp should help her immensely.
    Purging. Heard of Marie Kondo? We’ll ever since my parents’ passing and we emptied their house, I vowed to purge purge purge. Dad told us all for 50+ years, he’d be glad to put “stuff” into the attic, but he wasn’t bringing it back down. I sure learned my lesson!
    I am hoping we come out of this pandemic era with a new collective empathy and acceptance for those around us. I just can’t fathom those who are losing so much because of this. The numbers of folks whose jobs are not the “work from home” kind. The folks who are more predisposed to underlying conditions. The homeless.
    A new book: Untamed by Glennon Doyle. I think you would like it.
    Take care friend.
    I enjoy your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, thank you so much for your comment and for reading my blog.I'm glad you saw my Rosie, who is a sweetie. Like you, I think about those whose lives are not as comfortable as ours, who live from paycheck to paycheck, those you are keeping us going but making a minimum wage. I DO hope we as a notion learn something positive from this experience. Take care and stay safe and well.

      Delete
    2. I am feeling peaceful with this stay-at-home mandate. Making a once a week trip to Publix and engaging in many outdoor activities. Like you, I feel such positive energy from my neighbors. We are being so friendly, kind, interested in getting to know each other. I hope this good energy is lasting and we do not go back to sniping at and insulting each other. We have a unique chance to hit the reset button on all that former negativity and after this pause from normal life surely we won't go back to the uglies - because this feels so good! Love you my friend and always get excited when I see a new blog from you has come out! Take care and holler if you need anything!

      Delete
  2. Sure was great to see sweet Rosie Girl at play. She sure does act like she is feeling better and that warms my heart immensely. Give her a kiss for me, please! I do see more people smile as I pass them BUT we go out of our ways to avoid each other at all costs it seems. I hope that distance does not remain after all this is said & done...which I pray is sooner rather than later. I am fortunate to be able to continue working through this so far anyway but even if stuck at home I think I would not be bored. I enjoy my down time, my home time, sitting at my desk being creative time...and sleeping of course. Thanks for the blogs. Sure do love reading up on what you have been doing. I miss seeing you and Rosie every day as I would drive down your street while on my mower for the Crescent golf club. Stay well! I just heard a great quote from an audio book I just finished. "A good heart can't ever let the bad get in. You've got a good heart, Hannie, don't let the bad get in ya. Don't open the door to it, no matter how much it comes knocking or how sweet it sounds asking." From: The Book of Lost Friends by Lisa Wingate

    ReplyDelete