Friday, September 6, 2019

Surviving Dorian!

I had no sooner posted my last post when things began to get serious with Dorian. The good thing about hurricanes is that you have time to prepare and/or evacuate. The bad thing about hurricanes is that it is difficult to come to a decision. I would decide to stay one day and the next morning conditions would change and I'd lean toward staying. After seeing Dorian hover around the Bahamas for so long, I pretty much have decided I should just plan to evacuate. I would not want to be in a dark closet for 24 hours with a storm raging around outside!! 

On Tuesday morning I was dickering about it again and then decided that I had notified relatives that I was coming up and I may as well go, regardless of what Dorian would finally do. I left early Tuesday morning and had an easy trip up with very little traffic. I had to medicate Rosie since she is an anxious traveler - pants the whole time. She took the meds on the first try and was mellow throughout the drive. We were there by noon and checked into the motel.

The manager of the motel was of Indian descent and we had a great conversation talking travel and how it broadens one's outlook. He was born in Fiji, worked in Australia and New Zealand, traveled widely, and now worked in the States. He did say the people in that town were mean or bad.....I can't remember which, and I can well imagine how they react to an Indian person.  The conversation starter was that he spotted my bangles and commented on them! I then told him that I'd worked abroad and we went from there!!

As is usual with all families, there was a little drama. While I don't want it for public consumption, those with the password can see it HERE

Overall, I had a very enjoyable, fun visit but was hoping to get back on Thursday. Chris and Rhonda C. had stayed and gave me a weather report that morning. So, I got up earlier than usual and had breakfast with cousins Larry, Betty, and Peggy. That was the only time I left Rosie in the motel room and I really didn't like doing it. Before leaving for breakfast, I gave her a sedative for the trip. She was not the least bit interested in the Pill Pockets I had used for the trip up, but she did go for cheese!!  We left around 9:30 and got home around 1:30. The traffic was light and it rained most of the way, but I've been on I-95 with much heavier rain. This time it seemed that my timing was right - left early and returned early! It was good to be home! I unpacked the car and still have to put things away. That will happen later today......or tomorrow! 

On the way up, I finished listening to Radium Girls, which was sad but very interesting. On the way back I listened to The Good Neighbor about Mr. Rogers, and I have to say it was great to come back to a nice neighborhood. On our morning walk, we checked in with Reyna, and ran into Lynn and Bogey, as well as other dog walkers. We all caught up on what others had done. This afternoon my neighbor was picking up small branches in his yard and he came over and picked up mine. We were lucky to have only minimal damage - actually no damage at all just a lot of leaves and other debris scattered everywhere. It will be an easy clean-up. We were very lucky. Needless to say, the season has just begun and we are hoping we will not have to do this again anytime soon.