Sunday, July 8, 2018

It's Summer in the South!


Yes, it's been hot...and humid. Stay in the house kind of weather. Even with her cooling jacket, Rosie has been cutting our afternoon walk short and on most days I take her to an area in the community that has a shaded walkway. This morning, however, was wonderful. It was cooler, not humidity and with a nice breeze. Such a welcomed change!

I'm sure you know about our terrible political situation that just seems to go from bad to worse....every single day!!  On June 30th there was a nationwide rally in support of the
immigrants who are being treated so shamefully at our border. Our little town of Bluffton in a deep, red state had a great turnout. Rose, the organizer and my neighbor, was fearful that there would be a small turnout based on responses she had gotten. Needless to say, she was pleased with the result. I went over the day before and loaded my car with various items needed for the rally and took it over around 8AM the next day, before the rally began at 9:30. I also took Rosie and gave her a walk while I waited for others to arrive. Then I dropped off Rosie and picked up Rhonda and Chris for the rally. It was a fun morning and we were surprised to get some positive reactions.




The rally was a nice diversion from all of the calling, faxing, letter writing, etc. that we've been doing on a daily basis. Last week was so brutal - the travel ban upheld AND the possibility of trump appointing another Supreme Court judge (and something else that is escaping me at the moment)!!  I had to take some time off and get away from it, so I spent a few days reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which was excellent and a page turner.  I have the second in the trilogy ready to go but had to use it as a bribe to get caught up on some things, including this blog. Once I've completed my "To Do" list I will take a few days for reading.....unless something abominable happens!!

I have to say I am surprised that the Queen has agreed to see trump! I love the story of the giant balloon of baby trump and it looks like it has scared him away from London. Feel free to get out there and protest him. The Resister Sisters will be glad to offer any advice needed.

My friend Tippy is back in town and we met for brunch last Tuesday. About 6-8 weeks ago she went to be with her sister, who was going into the hospital. She went for 3 days and stayed until last weekend.  Her sister was found to have stage 4 cancer and Tippy stayed with her from that point on, only coming home twice for a couple of days. Her sister passed away surrounded by family and Tippy was there until the end. She's one of our Resister Sisters and it's good to have her home.


Melodee and I went to see Becoming Harriet Tubman, a one-person play by Natalie Daise. Natalie and her husband did the children's program 20+ years ago on Nickelodeon called Gullah Gullah Island. They now live in Beaufort and she is obviously a very talented and creative person on many levels. They raffled two of her prints, which I had seen online and liked. This one is called The Collard Queen.  Well, Melodee won it and gave it to me!  Melodee will be selling her house soon and moving back to St. Louis, where her daughter lives. So, she is downsizing rather than adding-to, which was my good fortune.

My only other news is that last week I did something to my back. At first I thought it might be a UTI since that is the only time I've had pain in my lower back. I went to the doctor right away and that was ruled out. She prescribed Tylenol and ice packs. Slowly but surely it has almost gone away. I have absolutely no idea how or when I injured it but am just glad it's almost gone. Getting old is not for the weak!! 


This is Miss Rosie rather immodestly cooling off after our evening walk. She is directly under the fan. She also does this when she wants to play. Her toy basket is nearby and, if I get up to play, she will hop up and pick a squeaky toy to be tossed!  She has also acquired a new nighttime activity. For a long time she was not allowed in the sun-room because it was dedicated to Mama Mia (and seeing that she got her medication in her water without Rosie drinking it.) Mama has gotten so good at taking her meds that the sun-room can be open again. Rosie has discovered that if she sits out there at night, something with come up for her to bark at. I've seen deer, but most of the time whatever it is has vanished before I get there. I usually go in, point my finger at her and shoo her to bed. She sheepishly puts her ears back and trots off.....so funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment