Sunday, August 28, 2011

Getting My Groove Back....

It's difficult to return from the carefree life of vacation and get back into the routine of daily life.  My first few days were spent unpacking, doing laundry, grocery shopping, cooking.......getting the basics done.  I had to kind of get myself together for my friend Elaine's birthday gathering on Saturday (Elaine is seated, middle).  It was a "tea" so everyone showed up in hats, gloves, etc.....or not!  You can see by the photo that there were all degrees of variation.  My only hat was a straw one that I bought in Turkey.......and that had fallen in the water and was retrieved by our boat captain.  My intention was to get a colorful flower to add to it, but I didn't get around to it; so, I put it in the car to see if people were really going to show up in hats!  Since many of them did (even cowboy hats!), I plopped it on and in I went.  It was a fun gathering of many friends from my synagogue days and I really enjoyed it.......and it was nice to see ladies in hats!

It took about 3-4 days to get back to my walking, but I'm into again.  It seems to have cooled a little, but I still have to do it in the mornings.  Yesterday was a very interesting day to walk as we were anticipating Hurricane Irene.  It was cooler and there were occasional gusts of wind.  The sky was very active, with clouds passing by at record speed.....even I could tell that something was brewing.  It was like being in the center of a rotation marble. The following photos (by Roddy Medders) were taken off Facebook and show the beauty and drama of what was happening.....keep in mind that the sky looked like this here, where nothing happened.  It's hard to imagine what it looked like closer to the eye of the storm.

Luckily for us, that was as exciting as it got. Yesterday vacillated between sunny and overcast skies, with occasional gusts of wind. It began to rain around 4PM, but it lasted only a short while. Around dusk it rained again, and that was it. I thought it would probably rain sporatically through the night, but it didn't. Today was warm and sunny with blue skies and white, puffy clouds. We dodged another one....and for that we're very thankful.

My volunteer time at Palmetto Animal League has also resumed and a lot happened in my absence, which I was pretty much able to keep in touch with through Facebook.  I've updated the PAL page on this site, so animal lovers (or those who just like adorable photos!) should check it out to keep abreast of the activity.  I continue to enjoy my time there and love being with the animals and animal's a good thing!

Other than that, things have been pretty normal......shampooing carpets, tasting wine at my local shop, searching for my checkbook......yes, it seems that another senior lapse has occurred.  I have no idea what has happened to it (or how long it has been missing) but, since no unusual checks have been written to my account, I assume I've "misplaced" it.  I've looked in all of the usual places and as many of the unusual places as seem plausable, all to no avail.  I'm giving it until Monday to show up and will then contact the bank......and cede defeat!