Friday, November 19, 2010

More Than You Need/Want to Know...

A special "thank you" to those who sent condolences and kind words for Rita.  They were greatly appreciated.  I did go to the gathering for her and knew many of the people there because they are or had been members of the synagogue.  The interesting thing was that many of them were surprised by the information given in Rita's obituary - they were surprised that she was "that accomplished".  It made me value our friendship even more because I DID know she was that accomplished.  We talked about the things that made us who we are - I knew about her family as she was growing up, her practice, her days in NY, Kentucky, Florida - all of those things that were surprising to others.  It's really strange what brings people together and makes it easy (or difficult!) to relate to one another.  Rita was in the same category with Dori, who passed away several years ago.  They are among the few people here whom I would include with my Aramco friends, which is the highest compliment I can pay. 

This chokes me up when I think of it, and I can't help but think of it......the last time Rita and I spoke on the phone, after her first stoke, when her thoughts were difficult to express, she told me that I was a dear friend to her and that she loved me.  How often does that happen?  It always seems so difficult (for me, anyway) to say to those closest to me/us that I/we love them.  So, my dear friend Rita has left me something to treasure forever and something to work on at the same time........a therapist to the end!

Rita's children, Linda and Michael, are the two in the center of the top row of the photo in the last post.  I had never met either of them, but Linda and I had a nice, warm conversation.  Rita had put us in touch when Jan and I went to Chicago and Linda gave us a lot of touristy information.  Jan will like this....I told her how much I appreciated her help and how much we enjoyed Chicago, and that we definitely wanted to visit again and see more.  She asked if I still had her email address and made me promise to let her know when we came.  She would again clue us in to what was happening, etc.........she insisted by saying that it would make her think of her Mom and she would love that. I thought that was so sweet, and so Rita!  Anyway, Al is going back to Chicago with his kids, which I'm pleased to know.  I've got him on my list for some baked goods when he gets back, and just to touch bases with him to see that he's okay.  Rita was the strong one and Al is a creative, helpless sort, so I know he is going to be lost for a while......so it's good that he's going to be with his kids for a while.

This isn't the photo that was in the magazine, but close!







Al-Ayyam Al-Jamilah, the Aramco annuitant's magazine, arrived yesterday.  Usually I don't know anyone in it but, this time, it was different.  Sol and Jilllian were on the cover and there were a lot of people I knew attending the reunion in Orlando.  Now, I got this magazine but somehow I didn't know anything about the reunion in Orlando beforehand (though I did know about the one in the UK!!).  Anyway, I've never been tempted to go to one stateside, but it was nice to see some familiar faces.  There was one page devoted to the UK reunion, which included a great photo of Tom and Eileen (with Martin, wearing one of his snazzy vests, in the background) blowing out a candle.  It was a nice article and a great photo.  With Eileen looking this well, I'm happy to report that she has completed her chemo and radium treatment, and is now released on her own good behavior (??) until May, when she will see the surgeon again.  She has done so well and been so valiant in the face of all of this......I as so pleased that the worst is behind her, and I hope to see her soon.

On Sunday I'm off to NC to pick up my mother and bring her down for the winter, though it seems like winter is far away.  The weather is so glorious that it's hard to believe that we're near the end of November.  It will be difficult to face colder weather when it finally arrives......and it's hard to believe that Christmas is almost here.  I'm usually in great denial, but this weather makes it more difficult to believe that the end of the year is near.

Finally, you may have noticed that I've added a tab at the top of the site for a section of quotes.  I love quotes that resonate with me and have begun to "collect" them.  Finally I decided to add them to the site in case there are others who might appreciate them.  I will be adding to them from time to time so I hope you will check that section once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment